Fall is perfet for comfort food and warm delicious chili while watching football (or reading while your signficant other does). I’ve perfected my chili over the few years and love making this recipe! We made it last weekend and it’s always a huge hit! It is a rich, flavorful, sweet and spicy chili that makes you feel like you’re in a cozy log cabin on a cool fall night. The cinnamon and cocoa add a rich and unique flavor. Try it out and let me know what you think!
To make this PALEO simply omit the kidney beans and brown sugar. You can sub the brown sugar with coconut sugar to get the sweetness.
- 1 lb danish bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 andouille sausage
- 1 lb steak (I buy the one pre-cut for tacos or stew)
- 1 pepper (green, red, yellow, it’s your preference)
- 2 jalepenos, diced with seeds
- 1 large white onion, onion
- 6-12 garlic cloves, minced (depends on how much of a garlic lover you are. I add 12)
- 1 (15 oz) can of kidney beans
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2-4 cups of chicken or beef stock (depends on thickness you want)
- 1 Angry Orchard (Sam Adams Octoberfest works as well)
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar (depends on sweetness you want)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Cut up sausage into small pieces
- Cut up danish bacon into small cubes
- Season ground beef with salt, pepper to taste and cook in pan until browned. Add to crockpot.
- Dice up pepper, jalepeno and onion and add to crock pot (I use gloves when chopping and touching jalepeno to avoid any contact with seeds and then later touching my eye or contact lense and feeling the wrath of hell upon my eye but that’s just me…)
- Add minced garlic
- Season steak with salt and pepper, cook until medium and add to crockpot
- Sautee bacon in pan and cook until crisp. Taste test for maximum enjoyment. Add to crockpot.
- Sautee sausage and add to crockpot
- Add in cinnamon and cocoa powder and mix
- Add stewed tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato paste and 2 cups chicken/beef stock to crockpot and mix
- Add in Angry Orchard and mix
- If more liquid is needed, add in the rest of the stock and one cup of water if necessary
- Give everything a final mix
- Turn crockpot on to low for 6-8 hours OR high for 4-6 hours
- When cooking is done mix and taste
- Add brown sugar and mix
- Add in cornstarch for desired thickness
- Enjoy with corn muffins on the side!
You can garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, or my personal favorite, avocado!
Garlic Herb Corn Muffins
This is where I cheat and simply use JIFFY corn Muffin mix. Follow direction on box but use KerryGold Garlic Herb butter. Add another tbsp or so for a richer flavor.
What do you add to your chili to make it your favorite?